Monday, September 3, 2012

For Grandson, Owen... Ryan was once a boy like you


   Ryan is second from the right.

BLUE ANGEL INTERVIEW: by  Jean-François Laissus in Canada 

Six F-18's taxi to a stop.  I’m distracted, testing my tape recorder so surprised by a very warm.. "Hello, Sir!". There in front of me, looking like a living recruiting poster, stands "Blue Five", Lt. Ryan Scholl who is very congenial. I'm immediately comfortable.
Lt. Scholl is from Beltsville, Maryland and attended Princeton University where he played varsity football and was graduated with a degree in electrical engineering and computer science.

He was selected as part of the Blue Angels in 1995. His first year the Narrator (this is the year he made the Blue Angels movie which played at the Smithsonian I-Max)  then opposing Solo Pilot, followed by Lead Solo Pilot in his four years..
 
I begin the interview by asking him how he became part of the Blue Angels:

"I joined the Navy and had been flying F/18s. When I achieved certain steps in my career, I then was able to apply to the team. The year I applied to the Blue Angels, there were about 65 five applicants for two Navy pilots jobs and I was lucky enough to be part of those two."

Lt. Scholl's naval career is quite impressive. He received his commission as an Ensign from Aviation Officer Candidate School earning the Distinguished Naval Graduate in 1988. He was designated a Naval Aviator, earning his wings in 1990, he served with the "Gunslingers" of VA-105.  Lt. Scholl then made the transition to the F/A-18C Hornet. He served aboard aircraft carriers USS Kitty Hawk, USS John F. Kennedy and USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I was curious to know if Lt. Scholl had the goal of being part of the Blue Angels early on. His answer stresses the importance of the training all Naval Aviators receive… "When I joined the Navy, I thought the Blue Angels were the "Be all, End all" of all Naval Aviation and you had to be a superb pilot of incredible skills. As I grew in my flying ability and skills, I found out just about any naval aviator could do it.

Once on the Team, I realized we, on the Team, really love representing the Navy, Marine Corps and US Government.

With the training involved in being a Navy pilot, to be able to land aboard a ship, learn all the other tactical flying skills, even with our training, the Blue Angels is  very tough… the toughest flying I have ever done, but we receive training above all training that I’ve ever had in the Navy. That’s how we are able to do this, to make it look so exciting, and also yet have it be so completely safe."

I immediately notice some key words Lt. Scholl is using: Skills, Team, Training… Obviously, being the Blue Angels Lead Solo has not made Lt.  Scholl loose the sense of being part of a team. The Blue Angels success relies on this team effort. I also notice Lt. Scholl is showing a great deal of modesty! Having won the 1993, the strike-fighter community’s Scott Speicher Award for superior tactical weapon delivery. He was also named Carrier Air Wing Three’s pilot of the Year. He certainly *is* one of the best!

Lt. Scholl is keenly aware of his, and his fellow Blue Angels role as representatives of the best the Navy, America has to offer and are obviously role models for a lot of young people. I ask him what are the most rewarding aspects of being part of the Blue Angels… "One of the greatest things is being able to walk out and see smiles on the kids’ faces. Even on a day when I didn’t perform so well, I gave it all I had and it was just not coming all together. Then I see the smiles on the kids’ faces. To know I am going to have an effect on what is going to happen in their lives is very rewarding. I may not recruit them to go in the Navy, but hopefully if they have a choice down the road somewhere to go the right way or the wrong way, maybe they’ll have a look back and be influenced somewhat by what we do."

I ask if a young person would think of getting into Naval Aviation, what might he or she consider doing now that would help later to achieve their goals.

Lt. Scholl's answer is very enlightening. "I think one of the greatest things I talk about is making simple commitments. You are going to get the job done and are going to work as hard as you can at everything you do. Once you have that simple commitment, whether it’s hanging up your clothes in your closet or even on your final exam, if you do the best you can at everything that you do, there is really nothing that you cannot achieve, whether you want to be a Blue Angel or if you want to be successful at whatever you do."

Lt. Scholl, very kindly, asks permission to leave for his debriefing. I could keep on listening to him for hours, but I know he is on a very tight schedule. I thank him and he joins the other Blue Angels. I've just met a great person. I am so pumped by the meeting with Lieutenant Scholl, I'm almost ready to head to the nearest recruiter and sign up!

Captain Ryan Benjamin Scholl, Commanding Officer

Personal decorations include: Bronze Star, four Meritorious Service Medals, two Strike/Flight Air Medals, three Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals,  three Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals and various unit, campaign and service ribbons;  He has accumulated over 4200 tactical jet flight hours and 734 carrier landings.

 

Following his assignment with the Blue Angels, Captain Scholl reported to the “Rampagers” of VFA-83 in 1998 as department head tour and made two Mediterranean/Arabian Gulf deployments aboard USS EISENHOWER and USS WASHINGTON

In 2001, he reported to the Navy War College in Newport, Rhode Island.
Captain Scholl reported to VFA-81 as Executive Officer in 2003, and assumed command of the “Sunliners” in  2004 completing a Mediterranean/Arabian Gulf deployment.

In 2006, Captain Scholl assumed command of the Joint Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), Asadabad, Afghanistan. His team conducted hundreds of construction, governance and humanitarian assistance missions in Kunar and Nuristan provinces..

Captain Scholl completed Navy Nuclear Power Training curriculum and reported in 2009 as Executive Officer of the USS ENTERPRISE.

2011, Captain Scholl assumed command… . 
USS Ashland... Mission Statement
To conduct Amphibious operations through transporting, launching and supporting assault landing craft, Marines and their combat cargo to designated areas throughout the world. ASHLAND can accommodate 400 Marines and support personnel. The 440 ft well deck can hold four Landing Craft Air Cushion vehicles (LCAC), three Landing Craft Utilities (LCU), or up to sixty-four Amphibious Assault Vehicles


No comments: