Tuesday, April 19, 2011

1945 Tonsil Surgery

House similar to Aunt Louise' House. The bedroom on the right
would have been where we were in bed
1946 Tonsils Surgery

As you may remember, I was born in the small town of Cedartown and lived with Mama and Papa (my Grandparents) along with my Mother while my father was in the army fighting in World War II. When the war was over, he returned home and took my Mother and me to live in Atlanta when I was five years old.

Our first living accommodations in Atlanta were interesting. A big beautiful house was re-designed to make apartments. We had one huge room on the front of the house which served as a combination living and bedroom. Across the hall underneath large stairs leading to the second floor was our kitchen with a table, small stove, ice box. The ice box was exactly that with two doors, a lower for food and an upper for a block of ice delivered by the “Ice Man”.

I tell you all this because when the doctor said I had to have my tonsils out and… so did my cousin, Martha who was 18 months younger than  I and… not my favorite person (sorry). My Mother and my Aunt Louise (her sister) took Martha and me to the hospital. I was sooooooooo embarrassed because they put us in cribs… not hospital beds with sides. We had to spend the night in those cribs the night before our surgery very early the next morning. Out Mothers were allowed to take us home after the surgery but not before “poor Martha” threw up a number of times (sorry).

Aunt Louise and Uncle Charlie (Martha’s father) owned a big house that was divided into a large section for them and a small apartment which they rented. Because it was divided, you entered directly into the living room which opened into a huge bedroom and continued through another bedroom, followed by a large dining room and last the kitchen.  

We were put to bed (together) in the large, feather mattress bed in the first bedroom.

When we were finally allowed to have food, it was milk-toast which is simply white bread toasted with milk poured on top to make an awful tasting, goopy mess. This was our diet for three days. Sixty-five years ago, you couldn’t go to the store to get popsicles or even ice cream which had to be made with a hand crank at home so they was none of that. We graduated to massed potatoes and massed peas for our week of recovery.

Remember, all we had was a radio for entertainment and were allowed to listen to The Lone Ranger and The Shadow Knows at night and Aunt Louise “soap Stories” in the day.

I remember the crib, a sore throat, milk toast and... Martha. Do you think I sound very grateful to have two Mothers looking after our every whim? No, not then but today I smile at all the love and family that was ours.

Please when you feel well enough, write in a journal so you can share with your grandchildren.

Grandpa and I love you so much. We wish we could be with you but since we can't, we've prayed for God to send your Guardian Angel to hover over and breathe gentle confort to your spirit.

No comments: