Sunday, June 24, 2012

Family, A blessing







Many of you read in an email or earlier blog where I shared that last Saturday we went to the Brown Family Reunion in the town where I was born, Cedartown.
My Mother moved from Alabama with her parents to Cedartown where she met Jennie Brown when they were in their early 20's. Mother finished her journey on earth at 94 and Jenny was 90 so you do the math on how long a friendship.
Before my parents moved to Maryland in 1970, they went to "the Brown's" once a month. My cousin, Debbie and her husband, Greg still go once a month and we hope to go often enough to re-establish relationships lost from being away from Georgia for 49 years. In 1997 my Mother and I flew down to visit Jennie and her sister, Lillian who were very ill. It broke my Mother's heart to see them like that but the visit was so precious to her.
I hope it isn't boring for you but need to take a friendship trip down memory lane.
I am blessed to have lifelong friends like my Mother, meeting...
 my sister-in-love, Lucretia at 16 (a 55 year friendship... so far. She and I are still young chicks, in fact that reminds me of my high school chicks... Carol, Harriett and Jayne
Russ and Geri (died in 2001) Scholl, Mickey Glaeser (died last year) at 22 (a 49 years friendship),
and many others with whom the years would fall away if we saw each other again today.
Best Bud, Nancy came into my life in 1979.
Brother and sister-in-law, Jerry and Barbara along with their children... a whole new and wonderful faimly found in 1981.
RV and life-long friends, Dorothy and Joel who are also special brothers and sisters in the Lord
All our loved ones at Keys Vineyard Church... too many of you to name are our heart
All those in the Lord from Laurel to Chirst Community Church in Cumming, GA to Keys Vineyard Church back to Marietta Vineyard Church in Marietta.
Best of all is renewing family ties with cousin, Lanny and his wife, Diane and hopefully we'll be able to visit with cousin, Debbie and Greg.

My Mother believed families should all live together on the family property as several of the Brown children did and it didn't take me long to realize how important family is after moving to Maryland.

The last living sibling in the Charlie Brown family, Mildred is pictured above with her husband, Crotell who is 87 (I don't know Mildred's age) at our table with Irv who is unaware his picture is being taken. Good picture of Irv, don't you think?

My Mother was born in Birmingham and was raised in Remlap, Alabama, 30 miles east of Birmingham on a farm, 5 miles off a pave road.  They called it... "The Valley" or "Happy Holler". Two of her sisters married brothers and raised their families in the valley. The only one left on earth is my cousin, Carl's wife, Virginia and their children who live on the same land my Grandfather farmed all those years ago. The desire of my heart is to take Irv to "Happy Holler" and show him where I lived for a year in a chicken house when I was 8 years old.
Speaking of family, as I also mentioned what a joy and answer to prayer to have Michael and Grace over to Dinner on Sunday for Father's Day and to make dinner for Julie and the girls often, take a long lunch with daughter-in-law and best friend, Cam.

I need more than a phone calculater to count my blessing so I thank my heavenly Father.

No comments: